Sunday, June 19, 2011

Take two...

"Those that do not learn from history are bound to repeat it..."
This commonly used phrase is one that I have always used to justify my history addiction. I mean, I'm just trying to prevent a repeat, right? I have tried one other time to do the blog thing while attempting to train and complete a marathon. And to relate it back to history, my attempted was somewhat reminiscent of the Hindenburg crashing into the sinking Titanic. So, I figured I would stick to what I know and love.
There are quite a few contributing factors to this blog actually coming to fruition.
1. I have been away from teaching history for over a year and am missing talking about it every day.
2. The stack of history books (my addiction as you will come to find out) was piling up and I needed the motivation to make some "me" time in my work-filled life by reading a bit more.
3. I had a simple moment at work when we were celebrating a co-worker's birthday with a red velvet cupcake that I had to restrain myself from chiming in with the sweet treat's WWII origins (don't you worry, this will make an appearance in a future post).
It dawned on me when I repeatedly would show up to my weekly work staff meeting and add a history fact of the week, that maybe I should shift my history passion to a more productive avenue. I just can't help myself...I LOVE history! I love that we are living out history in our own lives and that we can learn so much from the past. I love researching unique and interesting aspects of what might seem like boring textbook filler.
So, here goes nothing...I'm going to see how this project evolves. Right now, I see it being a combination of book reviews and some interesting tidbits that I think are worth sharing and might spark some interest. And, of course, drooling over and starting a countdown for whatever new history item is on pre-order at Amazon.com. If you have any request or are curious about any specific topics, let me know. I would love to write about topics of interest or have the opportunity to research some new facts that you might not already know!
Here's to making some more history!

No comments:

Post a Comment